Mesquite installation for MacOS X
(Please email us ()
with questions or comments about downloading Mesquite).
NOTE: if you are using Mac OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion) or later, see item 4 below.
- Download mesquite.dmg.
- If the mesquite.dmg doesn't mount into a disk image automatically, double
click it to mount. You will see a Mesquite_Folder. Drag this Mesquite_Folder
to your hard drive (e.g., your Applications folder). Its contents should include something like this:
- Mesquite (1GB).app
- Mesquite (500MB).app
- Double click one of the Mesquite icons to start Mesquite. We suggest you
try first Mesquite. This starts the most current version of Java on your
computer. The version Mesquite (500MB) allocates more memory; the version Mesquite (1GB) allocates even more. We recommend
the most current versions of OS X and Java.
- If you are using Mac OS X 10.8, you may get a message that the file is damaged or isn't permitted to run. This relates to Apple's new Gatekeeper system. We are working on a fix for this, but in the meantime, go to System Preferences, Security. Set it to allow apps downloaded anywhere, then launch Mesquite for the first time. After that, you can switch it back to a higher level of security, and Mesquite should continue to run.
- You will also notice the file "Run_Mesquite_OSX.command". This
contains the command needed to start Mesquite as if from the command line.
You can edit this command (using a text editor) to fine-tune the amount of
memory allocated to Mesquite, and perhaps to modify startup conditions.
- To change the memory allocation of the "Mesquite
(500MB)" (for example) control-click (right click) on the application, and from the
drop down menu choose Show Package Contents. Inside, go to Contents/info.plist.
Open this file with a text editor, and in the line " <string>-Xmx500m
-Xss2m -Djava.library.path=lib</string>" change the number 500 either
higher or lower (do not introduce spaces!). To change it to higher than 2000m, you will need to use 64 bit java. For instructions, see the file startingMesquiteAndMemoryAllocation.txt.
Requirements: OS X 10.4 or higher recommended; Java 1.4 or later required.
NOTE: If you have a previous version of Mesquite installed in your system,
we advise that you delete it before installing the new version. Remember to
Copyright © 2002-2011 W. & D. Maddison